Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas!


Well, I was in the studio really late last night finishing Christmas Gifts and thinking about family.

Those who know me personally know that I have a lot happening in my life right now. My Sister-in-law lost her father to illness yesterday and my dad is in hospital right now recovering from a Stem Cell Transplant - a treatment for his Multiple Myeloma (a fairly rare bone cancer). He's not doing too well right now but that is to be expected with this treatment. Hopefully he will be on his way to feeling "alive" again soon... but it's been tough. He got the call to go in for the transplant the day before we left on our cruise -- needless to say that even though we enjoyed our trip -- I was never too far away from the computer and contact with home. But it's all good. I'm so glad I got the chance to get away with my family, spend some quality time with them and re-group for what's to come.

Christmas is a wonderful time of year. And even though there is a lot happening to get me down, I just keep counting my blessings! I have the most wonderful supportive family. My husband is great, compassionate and kind. My kid is, well, a kid and has a heart of gold -- always armed with hugs and veracious sarcasm to get me going ... in a good way. :) My mother is strong and flexible, willing to roll with the punches and that is greatly appreciated with all that's going on and my sister, although we haven't always seen eye to eye, is not completely shutting me out what's happening with her - which is great. And don't forget my dad -- my mentor, my teacher and highly respected by everyone he comes accross. Life is good... and worth Celebrating!

I got out my paints, pastels, and canvas last night and set to work on a project that initially was for my mother this Christmas. The photo is of Kevin, Emily and I taken on the cruise. I purposely had our family photos taken so I could come home and do something for her.... but I got carried away thinking about my great life and the canvas that started off to be my mothers ended up becoming very personal to me --and in my style, not hers. Sorry Mom. My artistic license took hold -- you'll have to wait.

The picture doesn't quite do it justice, but I think you get the idea. Me and my houses... and my fabulous family. I love you guys!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!! Enjoy your families, count your blessings and, in the words of the talented Wendy Vecchi: "Make Art!".

2 comments:

Rosanne said...

Its gorgeous Karen!Have a very Merry Christmas!

Tracey said...

This is an incredible project Karen! Love it!! Have a very Merry Christmas and all the best for 2010!! xx