Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Yet another great way to use Sticky-Back Canvas...

I was surfing the internet one day and came across an idea that intrigued me. Someone used Crafter's Workshop templates as an embossing template and the back side of sticky back canvas to secure it. Oh gee, I wish I bookmarked that idea so I could give the designer her props. If someone finds it, let me know!!

Anyway -- armed with this idea .. I decided to play! Out came the Sticky-Back Canvas from Claudine Hellmuth and the Crafter's Workshop templates.

Take a piece of Claudine's Sticky-Back Canvas and remove the backing. Place on your workspace sticky side up. Choose your favourite Crafter's Workshop template and lay it over the sticky canvas. Press it firmly in place.




In a tray (to make it easier on you), sprinkle your favourite embossing powder over the template.






Then lift and remove the excess embossing powder.
Save the remaining powder for a future project!







Remove the Crafter's Workshop template and then,
using your heat gun, heat set the embossing powder to the canvas.







And yes, here you see me using perfect pearls! Funny how these turn up in every project!

Once the embossing powder is set... brush a complimentary Perfect Pearl colour over the exposed sticky portions of the canvas. Lightly spritz with water to set the powder.


And looky looky..... a custom textured fabric-like piece that you can use in your projects! Looks fantastic! I am super impressed....





....Impressed enough to use this technique for my Dollar Store Project. Here's a sneak peek of what I am doing for those interested:


We will be trying this as a group at the Dollar Store club too. AND.....

Mark your calendars. I will be teaching a "Crafting with Crafter's Workshop Templates" workshop next month and this will be one of the techniques I will be showing. I hope you can join us!

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Okay.. glad you're doing a demo cuz I'm confused. Do you take the crafter's stencil thing off??

Tracey said...

This is awesome Karen!! You are the queen of the messy stuff!! I bow to you!

Kelly said...

I can't wait for the demo....and I better get working on my project!

Unknown said...

lol... yep . it comes off . I see I didn't write that. I'll fix.

it's a really cool technique. I'm loving it. Right up my alley! Glad you like !!!