Friday, July 09, 2010

Fabric Florals with the TOTMC

Have I told you how much I LOVE the Technique of the Month Club? I really enjoy having the ladies come to the studio to learn a new technique or two on the first Wednesday of the Month. Love spending time with you all!! We had a new member join us this month - Welcome Stacey!! So glad you could join us!

This month I was inspired by my class with Donna Downey that I took in June and I wanted to share some of that inspired wisdom with the girls! ....didn't think Donna would mind! *grin*

I love the way that Donna creates stems and leaves for her fabric and lace floral designs -- There is nothing really new to making your own Yo-Yo and bunch fabric flowers (we all just need to remember to re-visited them sometimes). It's amazing what a running stitch will produce *wink* -- What I loved was the technique that I showed the girls. Wet down strips of paper (loosen the starchy pulp in the paper) twist and dry for the stem. When the paper dries after being wet it will keep its shape. Eureka!! Donna's so smart!! Do the same for the leaf. Cut out a rough leaf shape, wet it down and fold a "vein" and crunch away -- shape your leaf the way you'd like. Dry and voila!! FABULOUS!


We made these cards by masking our paper off (with tape) white paper and spritzing the backgrounds with 3 colours of our DIY glimmery mists using Ranger's Mini Misters, Perfect Pearls and Distress Ink Reinkers (Broken China, Wild Honey, Forest Moss). We then stamped a script stamp using Jet Black Archival Ink and some of us added a saying or two to it to finish it off. Fun! Fun!
In total the girls learned 3 different ways to create fabric flowers, got a glimmery mist re-fresher and had lots of fun. BEST YET -- now that I think about it, no bandaids were needed!!! YAY girls!! Not bad for a group who hates to sew!! *wink*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

a wonderful piece...adore the background.

Claudia and Luke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claudia and Luke said...

It was an awesome class Karen. My daughter wasn't long scooping up that card when she saw it. I have since bought more fabric and made 1 more card that just left in the mail to a special friend. I plan on making lots more.
It was great