Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Tuesday "Toots" - SolarFast Dyes by Jacquard

It's time for some Tuesday "Toots"
Today I thought I'd feature SolarFast Dye by Jacquard.

So much fun!!   Simple to use...    Great to experiment with!!
Here's the demo video provided by Jaquard....    :)


Don't you just LOVE how they Comic Book the name - SOLARFast! ?   Giggles!!

I have been EAGER to play with this product all year and had a few projects sketched out before I left for my trip out west.  But then I stumbled upon an Esty artist at the Stampede selling the most glorious sunprinted pillow cases, table runners, and more -- Well...  She got me salivating! And guess what?  She uses SolarFast too! Check this out! (Jack & Cyan on Etsy)

So lush!   Of course, I had to buy one!   I love what she did and her style ...  notice the little surprises she embeds in her work?
Yes, I bicycle in the botanicals (which she cut out using her electric die cutting machine!!  Attn: ScanNCut users!! *Wink*)

So, when I got home, I took out the dye and created a set of placemats for us to use at our trailer.   Our umbrella is burnt orange so it seemed appropriate to print a set of placemats in the colour too.

I took a tip from the artist and instead of painting on the medium, I diluted it a bit, soaked the material and then gently rung it out.  This created the different intensities of dye.  Well, that and the maple leaves I placed on the fabric under a clear acrylic sheet.  

Once the placemats were sewn together, I free motion quilted around the leaves to accentuate them using Brother 85e sewing machine and SA129 Quilting foot.

Love these..   I'll try to remember to instagram our set table next time I'm at the trailer for you!!

Have you ever tried sun printing????
I did try this on paper on the weekend without success BUT...   after watching this video I think I know why!!   Stay tuned for that!

SHOP NOW - SolarFast Dyes and Accessories on our online store

Have a creative day everyone!!

No comments: